Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Being Bountiful...


I am a girl who LOVES a bargain. (note all the Deseret Industries bags at my house...) So, may I just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bountiful Baskets. It is a heck of a deal. Tim and I have become faithful followers/contributors/whatever-ers. Maybe we should call ourselves Basket Cases...perhaps not. Anyhow, for the low price of $15.00 (plus a $1.50 service charge) we get TWO laundry baskets of produce. And it's usually awesome produce. Example-
last Saturday- Watermelon, pineapple, canteloupe, carrots, celery, lettuce, brussel sprouts, bananas, tomatoes, and bunches more. Two weeks ago, we got almost two full pounds of cherries and a whole bunch of plums as well as the usual apples, bananas, lettuce, etc. If you add all of this up at the grocery store, it will usually total up to around $70. In a world where we need to making more healthy eating choices, this seems to be the most economical way to go. Also, they support local farms when they can, recycle all containers and the entire operation is run by volunteers. (like me) We are currently working to open our own site, so stay tuned for that.
The other thing about Bountiful Baskets that I adore is that often times, I receive produce that I would not normally purchase such as artichokes, avocados, baby bok choy, brussel sprouts, and many other things. This encourages me to try new things and forces me to find new recipes. I have found that I don't love baby bok choy, I do love artichokes, and adding avocado to anything makes it better.
I also love the special bargains they offer. For example, my friend Jenn and I purchase 25 pounds of fresh peaches for only $12.50. This week I purchased 12 pints of blueberries for $20. The first time I contributed, I purchased 8 pounds of Strawberries for $1.00 a pound! Unheard of in this area...
I am strongly encouraging all of you to give this a shot. Head over to www.bountifulbaskets.org today! It will give you all the information you need to get started. There is a one time $3.00 set up fee, but really? Still a great deal. Caution-in this area-they go fast!
Love, K

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I did Bountiful Baskets for the first time last Saturday. It was okay! I got some weird stuff and other things were really green - and didn't get ripe. They just went bad. I'll have to try again I guess. Maybe it was just a bad week.