Thursday, August 8, 2013

How My Cats Changed My Life.

Before you read this and judge me...just look at how darling they are.  Look at their sweet faces.  Then stop calling me a crazy cat lady and read on.
My husband and I will have been married for 12 years in October.  It's always just been the two of us.  We don't have kids and we probably never will.  Please keep in mind this isn't my choice, but it's what we've been dealt, so, we accept the challenge.
Let me start at the beginning...
I've always had a very close relationship with my grandparents on my mother's side.  And from the time I was a little girl, I've always promised them that I would take care of them as long as I could and that I would never let them feel sad and lonely like the people you sometimes see in nursing homes that sit in the hallway and talk to everyone.
So, about 4 years into our marriage, my grandpa passed away.  It was devastating to my family, especially to my sweet Grammy.  I couldn't bear to leave her here alone, so, I quit my job, packed up my belongings, and drove up to live near her on a wing and a prayer.  We eventually found an apartment across the street from her.  It was great!  But...no pets allowed.
We found jobs and took care of her as long as we could, until we bought a house and she went to assisted living.
Now, by nature, I am a care taker.  I want everyone to be happy and feel loved and not sad or lonely.
I could only do so much for her at the assisted living home.  Some of it she had to do on her own.
Now, my husband is a self professed cat hater.  As in...he used to shut all the bedroom doors in his basement as a child and chase their cat with a nerf gun. (rude.)
I, on the other hand, have always had a pet...until I got married.
There's a lot to be said for being a wife and a granddaughter/care taker.
But there was something missing.
This void is often filled for most women my age with children.
Obviously not working for me.
So, to surprise me...my husband bought me a rescue cat for Christmas.
Best. Day. Ever.
Then a few months later....we found Lily.  She was a runt and needed a good home.  So, we paid someone $25 and brought her home.
I can't begin to tell you how much I love my kitties.
I know, I sound crazy.
Here are some examples:
*  Mother's Day- my cats don't judge me because I'm not technically a mother.
*  Funerals- When my grandma died, I cried on my kittens for WEEKS.  My husband was a great support, but my cats were always there when he couldn't be.
*  Bad Days- Jack and Lily always need me.  They always love me.  No matter how stupid, fat, ugly, dumb, worthless or useless that I feel.  They're never rude to me.  They never call me names.  They never talk about me behind my back.  They always make me feel like I'm important.
*  Really Bad Days- Sometimes, I struggle.  Sometimes, I feel sad.  Sometimes, its overwhelming.  Sometimes....I don't want to get out of bed.  But...Jack and Lily need fed.  They want me to come play.  They want to tattle on each other.  They need brushed and scratched and kissed and snuggled.  And when I cry...they lick my face and sit on my lap and purr.
* Happy Days- My cats make me laugh every day.  Especially when I find them in the bathtub, or in the cupboard or the dryer or on the counter...they make me laugh and enhance the good days.
*  Days When I'm a Hunting or Fishing Widow- my cats stick right with me when Tim is gone. They check every noise, every light and have to go into rooms before I do to make sure there aren't any rabble rousers in the room I'm walking into.  They sleep in my bed or on my pillow...depending on the cat.
*  Every Day- they're ALWAYS excited to see me.  They always come running to the door when I get home.  They always love me.  Especially when I cook bacon.

These are just a few examples, but I am grateful that Heavenly Father gave me furry babies if I couldn't have real ones.  I love them like children and probably spoil them too much, but I couldn't love any person more.  And honestly? The more people I meet....the more I love my cats.


No comments: